Cracks left unsealed in asphalt pavement allow water to penetrate the surface. This, in turn, weakens the pavement structure and leads to failures in both the pavement and the base beneath it. Cracking filling helps protect your asphalt.
Water is one of the worst things for asphalt cracks. Once water gets under the asphalt surface, it can erode the foundation. Left unfilled, the cracks will allow moisture to flow through the pavement and erode base materials resulting in potholes, and ultimately in premature failure. When this happens, only extensive and costly repairs can fix the problem.
Although in Florida, it is rare to have freezing temperatures for more than a few hours once or twice a year, in other parts of the country cracks left over the winter can grow quickly due to snow plowing and with freezing and thawing day after day. However, with Florida’s warm and sunny climate, oxidation and humidity have a similar effect. Patching often doesn’t last and can cost several times what timely crack sealing costs. In the end, the useful life of the surface is shortened, forcing the premature and costly replacement of the surface.
Cracks can also accumulate debris, dirt, and can start to grow weeds. Preventative maintenance, such as crack filling which helps protect the asphalt from cracks becoming potholes is the smartest thing to do. It also saves you money by extending the life of your asphalt.
There are a number of things that can contribute to the cracking of asphalt pavement. The most common include:
• Surface/Shrinkage Cracks are caused by lack of traffic, extreme temperature changes, excess water and/or ultraviolet degradation.
• Structural/Reflective Cracks are caused by vertical or horizontal movements of pavement beneath, due to expansion and contraction with temperature and moisture changes.
• Joint or seam cracks are caused by weak seam or improper pinch roll.
An asphalt company in Florida can repair the cracks in your asphalt by doing the following:
1) First the cracks must be cleaned. Using a steel brush, a screw driver or a crack cleaning machine, the asphalt company can remove all the dirt and vegetation. It’s very important to be sure to clean the crack at least 1/2″ deep.
2) For small cracks that are less than a half inch, there are products your asphalt company can use to fill the cracks. However, this type of solution should not be used for large cracks, as it can sink into the wider cracks and not properly fill the area.
3) For large cracks, the crack filler needs to be melted into a liquid state and then applied.
Asphalt cracks are unsightly and can get expensive to repair if left for too long. That’s why it’s best to repair cracks as soon as they form. Crack sealing is the most cost effective way to stop this erosion of your asphalt investment before it’s too late. When properly applied crack sealing materials will greatly extend the life of your asphalt pavement and prevent untimely damage.
About ABC Paving and Sealcoating
With more than 20 years of experience, ABC Paving and Sealcoating is Florida’s leading paving contractor. ABC Paving and Sealcoating provides commercial organizations with the highest level of customer service, professional workmanship and services including: asphalt paving, asphalt repairs and prevention, pothole repairs, sealcoating, line striping and marking, thermoplastic, crack filing, signs and safety devices, concrete sidewalks, concrete curbs and site preparation. We use our experience and the latest equipment available to get the job done right the first time in a timely, cost effective manner. For more information about ABC Paving and Sealcoating, visit our website at https://www.pavingandsealcoating.com or call 866-934-7623 for a free estimate.