If you’re a property manager of a commercial facility there are dozens of things on your list that need your attention daily. One commonly overlooked item is the parking lot of the facility. Over time, little issues become big problems. So, why not take a few minutes and read through these 15 questions and see how your facility is holding up:
1. Are there potholes in your parking lot?
2. Do you have drainage issues?
3. Are there cracks in your asphalt?
4. Is there vegetation growing through your asphalt?
5. Does your asphalt pavement need to be sealcoated?
6. Can you remember the last time your parking area was paved and/or seal coated?
7. Can you clearly see the while parking stall lines on all spaces?
8. Are your handicapped spaces clearly marked?
9. Do you have the proper number of handicapped spaces?
10. Do you have handicapped ramps, curb access and other ADA required items?
11. Do you know what ADA required items you need?
12. Are there safety signs in your parking lot?
13. Are your fire lanes clearly marked?
14. Are your concrete sidewalks cracked, raised or crumbling?
15. Are your curbs in good condition?
So, how did you do? If you have a few minor issues that need attention, like potholes that need to be repaired or a few areas where the concrete sidewalks have been raised up from tree root growth, it really is best to have these items repaired now instead of waiting. Why’s that? Well, let’s look at what happens with a small pothole issue for example:
Potholes are created when moisture seeps into the pavement, gets cold, expands and then warms back up. This weakens the pavement. Traffic loosens it even more, and eventually the asphalt crumbles and pops out. Smaller potholes can be easily repaired by removing the damaged asphalt with a jackhammer or masonry saw and filling in the space with adhesive and layers of asphalt. The process is competed by leveling off the area and compacting it with a pavement roller.
Left untreated, potholes can accumulate water in it, which will cause more damage as the water begins to undermine the substructure of the parking lot. One pothole can spread and end up deteriorating an even a larger area. Before you know it, complete asphalt failure takes place requiring total replacement and a large expenditure.
Still haven’t had a look outside? Maybe it’s time you did.
About ABC Paving and Sealcoating
With more than 20 years of experience, ABC Paving and Sealcoating is Florida’s leading paving contractor. ABC Paving and Sealcoating provides commercial organizations with the highest level of customer service, professional workmanship and services including: asphalt paving, asphalt repairs and prevention, pothole repairs, sealcoating, line striping and pavement marking, thermoplastic, crack filing, signs and safety devices, concrete sidewalks, concrete curbs, site preparation and signs and safety devices. We use our experience and the latest equipment available to get the job done right the first time in a timely, cost effective manner. For more information about ABC Paving and Sealcoating, visit our website at http://pavingandsealcoating.com or call866-934-7623 for a free estimate.