Asphalt paving overlays make up a large portion of paving today.
Has your paving contractor recommended asphalt paving overlay or resurfacing? If so, there are a few things you should know about overlays.
1) What is asphalt paving overlay?
Asphalt paving overlay refers to the asphalt repair process in which an existing asphalt surface is paved over with a new asphalt cross section. Also, please note, the terms overlay and resurfacing can be used interchangeably!
More facts about overlays:
• Pavement overlays are used to restore surface conditions such as smoothness and aesthetics.
• To repair an existing paved surface, the pavement should be structurally sound, level, clean and capable of bonding to the overlay.
• Often, existing pavement failure may be caused by inadequate subgrade support or poor subgrade drainage. In order for an overlay to be effective, the failed area should be removed and the subgrade should be prepared as it would for new pavement.
• Overlays are designed to add only some structural support; the balance of support must come from the base. Inadequate structural base support will cause even the best-constructed overlay to fail in the form of cracks and deformations.
• The amount of surface preparation for the overlay depends on the condition and type of the existing pavement.
2) What will determine the thickness of the overlay?
If the existing asphalt pavement is more damaged, a thicker overlay is needed. Also, if the surface grade is flat and drainage is poor, the overlay should be thicker at the top of the downward slope.
3) Is asphalt overlay a better option over full reconstruction?
Asphalt overlay is a smart alternative to full reconstruction for a few reasons:
• Depending on existing site conditions, an overlay may be considerably less expensive.
• Overlays can be completed in days, not weeks
Other Helpful Tips
Once your asphalt has been resurfaced, be sure to ask your paving contractor about other ways to protect your investment and to keep your parking area looking its best. Be sure to ask about:
• Sealcoating – This protective material stops weather damage, prevents oxidation, beautifies pavement and resists gas, oil and salt.
• Line Striping & Marking – Stay in code compliance with properly marked stall lines, handicapped spaces and fire lanes.
• Signs & Safety Devices – Traffic signs, U-channel posts, round posts, speed humps and bumps, and bollard covers should be kept in good condition to protect your business and the people who visit it everyday.
About ABC Paving and Sealcoating
With more than 20 years of experience, ABC Paving and Sealcoating is Florida’s leading paving contractor. ABC Paving and Sealcoating provides commercial organizations with the highest level of customer service, professional workmanship and services including: asphalt paving, asphalt repairs and prevention, pothole repairs, sealcoating, line striping and pavement marking, thermoplastic, crack filing, signs and safety devices, concrete sidewalks, concrete curbs, site preparation and signs and safety devices. We use our experience and the latest equipment available to get the job done right the first time in a timely, cost effective manner. For more information about ABC Paving and Sealcoating, visit our website at http://pavingandsealcoating.com or call 866-934-7623 for a free estimate.